MENU
School History
picThe Lafayette School District was formed through the consolidation of several small districts including Lafayette, Statesville, and Harmonyvale. Each district had its own school house until 1934 when all students in the district were enrolled in the Lafayette Consolidated School on Route 15. The Lafayette Consolidated School was built in 1926. Two rooms were included in the building after a fire burned the building that was located on that site. In 1936 two additional rooms, central heat and indoor plumbing were added to the school. As the population grew, the need for additional room necessitated another addition. In 1955 five rooms, two lavatories, and an office were added.

house2Population growth, changing educational practices and stringent state requirements forced the Board of Education, in 1969, to consider an alternate facility. Study committees, architectural renderings, land referendums, the renting of classrooms in Frankford School and state reports condemning the existing facility characterized the 11 year period from 1969 to 1980. In 1980, the school referendum was passed for $1,870,000 to construct 13 classrooms, three small group instruction areas, a nurse's station, a suite of administrative offices, a library, kitchen, and all-purpose room (gymnasium, cafeteria, and auditorium).

house3On July 27,1982 several member of the school staff, a hired truck with four movers, and a group of community volunteers moved the contents of the Lafayette Consolidated School to the Lafayette Township School. On September 13,1982 the Lafayette Township School opened its doors to the school children of the township.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.